The Alexander House in Springfield, MA was built by Simon Sanborn in 1811. It is one of the oldest surviving structures in Springfield, Massachusetts. The house was moved for the first time in 1874 by former Springfield mayor Henry Alexander Jr., and then for the second time to accommodate the erection of a Federal Courthouse.
The Alexander House in Springfield, MA was built by Simon Sanborn in 1811. It is one of the oldest surviving structures in Springfield, Massachusetts. Lumus construction moved the Alexander House, a 10,000 square foot home from State St. to Elliot St. This was the second time this historic house had been moved; the first time, it was moved by former Springfield mayor Henry Alexander Jr. in 1874. We first disconnected the foundation and all utilities at the old location. Next we moved the house to its new location. With the house jacked up over the new location, we reconstructed the foundation by relocating individual pieces of stone from the old location to the new so that the foundation would remain constructed exactly as it once was. All shutters has to be removed, rebuilt or repaired before reinstallation. Inside the house we performed all electrical, water, sewer and gas hook-ups. We also provided a new HVAC system. Outside the house, we constructed new parking lots, walkways, plantings and other site features. During the completion ceremonies GSA recognized Lumus Construction, Inc. as “playing an integral part in the timely ground clearing and re-location of this historic Alexander House in order to make way for the construction of the new United States Courthouse”.